GTN membership in GOBLET?

Dave Clements
Hello all,

I attended the annual GOBLET meeting in November.  GOBLET (http://mygoblet.org/) is a global organization focused on bioinformatics training.  Their goals largely mirror (and predate) the goals of the Galaxy Training Network (GTN, https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Teach).  I was impressed with the group.

I was about to submit my individual membership for 2015, and it occurred to me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested in joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.  Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.

A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also raises the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.

This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals anyway.

What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute € to a pooled membership" emails are welcome.

Thanks,

Dave C

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Björn Grüning
Hi Dave and GTN members,

this sounds like a very good opportunity. I would like to participate
with 50€ if this helps us.

Thanks Dave and a interesting and challenging new year!
Bjoern

> I attended the annual GOBLET meeting in November.  GOBLET (
> http://mygoblet.org/) is a global organization focused on bioinformatics
> training.  Their goals largely mirror (and predate) the goals of the Galaxy
> Training Network (GTN, https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Teach).  I was
> impressed with the group.
>
> I was about to submit my individual membership for 2015, and it occurred to
> me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an
> organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested in
> joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.
> Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual
> membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.
>
> A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in
> GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also raises
> the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.
>
> This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already
> organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals anyway.
>
> What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute € to a
> pooled membership" emails are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Dave Clements
Hi Björn,

Thanks.  That's 40% of the way!

Everyone: Please post to the list if you have any questions about GTN or GOBLET.

Happy New Year!

Dave C

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Björn Grüning <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave and GTN members,

this sounds like a very good opportunity. I would like to participate
with 50€ if this helps us.

Thanks Dave and a interesting and challenging new year!
Bjoern

> I attended the annual GOBLET meeting in November.  GOBLET (
> http://mygoblet.org/) is a global organization focused on bioinformatics
> training.  Their goals largely mirror (and predate) the goals of the Galaxy
> Training Network (GTN, https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Teach).  I was
> impressed with the group.
>
> I was about to submit my individual membership for 2015, and it occurred to
> me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an
> organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested in
> joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.
> Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual
> membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.
>
> A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in
> GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also raises
> the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.
>
> This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already
> organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals anyway.
>
> What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute € to a
> pooled membership" emails are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Dave Clements
Hello all,

We are now definitely 60% of the way (and possibly 80%) of the way to a pooled GOBLET organizational membership.

If you are interested, you can help push the GTN over the top.

Thanks,

Dave C

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Björn,

Thanks.  That's 40% of the way!

Everyone: Please post to the list if you have any questions about GTN or GOBLET.

Happy New Year!

Dave C

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Björn Grüning <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave and GTN members,

this sounds like a very good opportunity. I would like to participate
with 50€ if this helps us.

Thanks Dave and a interesting and challenging new year!
Bjoern

> I attended the annual GOBLET meeting in November.  GOBLET (
> http://mygoblet.org/) is a global organization focused on bioinformatics
> training.  Their goals largely mirror (and predate) the goals of the Galaxy
> Training Network (GTN, https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Teach).  I was
> impressed with the group.
>
> I was about to submit my individual membership for 2015, and it occurred to
> me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an
> organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested in
> joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.
> Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual
> membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.
>
> A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in
> GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also raises
> the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.
>
> This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already
> organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals anyway.
>
> What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute € to a
> pooled membership" emails are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Dave Clements
Hi All,

We are 80% there: 2 from North America, and 2 from Europe.

Just one more to go....

Thanks everyone,

Dave C

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

We are now definitely 60% of the way (and possibly 80%) of the way to a pooled GOBLET organizational membership.

If you are interested, you can help push the GTN over the top.

Thanks,

Dave C

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Dave Clements <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Björn,

Thanks.  That's 40% of the way!

Everyone: Please post to the list if you have any questions about GTN or GOBLET.

Happy New Year!

Dave C

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Björn Grüning <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave and GTN members,

this sounds like a very good opportunity. I would like to participate
with 50€ if this helps us.

Thanks Dave and a interesting and challenging new year!
Bjoern

> I attended the annual GOBLET meeting in November.  GOBLET (
> http://mygoblet.org/) is a global organization focused on bioinformatics
> training.  Their goals largely mirror (and predate) the goals of the Galaxy
> Training Network (GTN, https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Teach).  I was
> impressed with the group.
>
> I was about to submit my individual membership for 2015, and it occurred to
> me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an
> organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested in
> joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.
> Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual
> membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.
>
> A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in
> GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also raises
> the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.
>
> This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already
> organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals anyway.
>
> What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute € to a
> pooled membership" emails are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Mark Crowe
Hi Dave, Bjorn

My Goblet membership has just come due, so I'd be interested in being part
of a GTN group membership. Do you have any idea how the login works at an
organisational level though? Do we still all have our own usernames and
are nominated members of the GTN membership? I can't find any details
about that on the website.

Cheers

Mark

Mark CROWE
Engagement Manager, QFAB

T: +61 (0) 7 3346 2095
M: +61 (0) 427 450834
E: [hidden email]
W: www.qfab.org <http://www.qfab.org/>

Level 6, QBP
University of Queensland, Q4072

> [...]
>>occurred to
>> me that by pooling individual memberships, we might be able to get an
>> organizational membership for GTN.  That is, if 5 of us were interested
>>in
>> joining, we might be able to pool those into a single Bronze membership.
>> Individual memberships are €50/year and Bronze are €250.  As an annual
>> membership, we would need to find 5 people every year.
>>
>> A Bronze membership gets us a place for the GTN in GOBLET, and a vote in
>> GOBLET issues (as an individual member I don't get a vote).  It also
>>raises
>> the visibility of both GTN and GOBLET.
>>
>> This would only make sense if at least 5 of us, who aren't already
>> organizational members, were interested in joining as individuals
>>anyway.
>>
>> What do people think?  Discussion and "yes I'm willing to contribute €

Re: GTN membership in GOBLET?

Dave Clements
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure how this will work, but with you we will be at 100% so I'll start asking (and CC all 5 groups).

Once we figure out how this will work, I'll post something back to this list.

Thanks a bunch,

Dave C